Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Knit Slippers (Like Grandma Used To Make)


I just finished these slippers on the drive home from our trip.
I love them. I knit them like Elba, my Nona used to make. She would tell me we put the twisted bows on the ones for the boys. The girls would get little pom poms on the ones for them. I like the twist ties. Jeremiah held the yarn while I twisted them just like she used to do with me.


I used a double strand of worsted weight yarn to make them.
Here is what I did....
Size 8 knitting needles
Slipper Make 2
Cast on 35 for Large
Row 1 : knit 11, purl 1, knit 11, purl 1, knit 11
Row 2: knit across
Repeat Row 1 and Row 2 until measures 7 to 8 inches.
Next begin the Ribbed section
Row 1: knit 3, purl 3, knit 3, purl 3, knit 3, purl 3, knit 3, purl 3, knit 3, purl 3
Row 2: knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches as they face you.
Repeat the ribbing rows for 3 to 4 more inches.
Making sure you have enough length to cover your foot.
I then decreased by knitting two together every other stitch.
I left a long tail and took a needle and put it through the loops and tightened it up. Then stitch up the top of the slipper.
Stitch up the back of the slipper.
I twisted yarn together and let it come back on itself to make 4 strands and made little ties with it.
I just put them through a stitch on the top and tied them in a bow.
Then you have yourself a nice little pair of slippers.

1 comment:

sizrhpy70 said...

i love that pattern and can't wait to make them!
a little aside for you...that color font is very hard on the eyes and hard to read.
thanks for your lovely blog!