I just finished this doily. I think I need to get a larger blocking mat.
The one I have was so small I could only block the center portion and the edges did not get properly blocked.
Friday, April 30, 2010
Here is the newest batch. I took 4 cups of water from a gallon jug and heated it in the microwave. I steeped 10 bags of tea in it and added 2 cups of sugar. The sugar gets eaten up by the SCOBY so it is not in the end product. Then I added the rest of the gallon and 3/4 of another gallon of water. I mixed it all up and made sure it was not too warm so that it killed the SCOBY. I slid back in the smaller SCOBY and then the larger one on top. I then poured back on the top the remaining liquid I saved. Now I wait 2 to 3 weeks again to bottle the next batch. I will take photos of the new SCOBY on top if you are interested.
Here is my Kombucha batch at 17 days. The instructions say to bottle between 2 to 3 weeks. I am amazed at the new SCOBY (mushroom) that has grown on top. I am searching for one of those little sun tea jars that has a plastic spigot. I would like to make another batch next time using the two smaller SCOBY you see floating around in there. If I am going to give away any for others to start Kombucha batches with I think they should be the smaller size.
I was reading a blog and someone said you can get 1 gallon pickle jars from Subway for free if you ask them to save you one.
So here is what I did. I carefully pulled out the SCOBY's and placed them in a bowl with about a cup or two of the liquid.
I then bottled the remaining liquid in clean bottles and added fruit or fruit juice to each bottle. They then sit on the counter covered for a few days to carbonate. You then put them in the fridge to chill and drink.
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Here is the top of the trail at the overlook. Boulder looks so small from up here. There were many dogs out on the trail today.
We were lucky for a clear day, it has been raining lately.
It is legal here in Colorado to purchase pot with a perscription.
I just thought the name was funny. This place is located by the college in Boulder. We drove by it on the way to our hike in the mountains.
Friday, April 23, 2010
This photo is a where is Waldo of sorts. Can you find Basil's paw?
Jeremiah just finished this puzzle. I like to take a photo when he finishes one. This one is pretty. I am amazed it is not missing a piece. The cats got into it many times and I found lots of pieces on the carpet around the table at times.
I ordered this new crochet book to cheer me up. It makes me happy for spring. It has lots of patterns. I can picture these flowers on scarves or bags or even on the cuffs of mitts.
You could even use these as an embelishment on a summer tank top. You might even put a pin back on them and attach them to a hat or coat.
I am just full of great ideas tonight.
Maybe, I am just full of it period.
Here is the brown pair of wristers. I finished these a few weeks ago. I just have not got around to taking the photo for my blog.
I have been busy looking for a job. It is unbelieveable how many people are in Denver looking for jobs. I have met lots of other people who have been out of work for a long time. Yikes!!
I finally finished this pair of knit wrist warmers. Just in time for spring.
Well, technically it did snow today on my way home from the gym. I wanted to make a black pair and a brown pair to wear with each winter coat.
I made 6 of this same pattern. The photo duplicates each doily once.
I really enjoy making this pattern. I have made a few others that I have given away that are not shown. The pattern is from Magic Crochet. Let me know if you want the date of the issue. I can look back and find it.
It is my favorite doily to work on. It seems to go rather quickly. If I work on it in my spare time it might take 2 days or so for each one. Here is the link for a closer look of each doily. http://www.flickr.com/photos/21729883@N05/sets/72157623918739594/
I have been crocheting a few doilies lately. This one is called Victorian Rose Doily. It is from May 2003 Crochet Fantasy. My friend Cathy turned me on to this pattern some time ago.
I think it is pretty but you can not really set a bowl or something in the middle due to the large raised flower in the center.
I have seen a few other doilies by the same name on the net.
Here is an update with the Kombucha batch. I took off the cover for a quick update picture. You can see the new SCOBY growing on the top. This has been an interesting experiment. I must admit the key was to get the well formed mushroom (SCOBY) from Vanessa.
I will keep you updated on the process. I plan to start a smaller batch with the original mushrooms once I locate a 1 gallon ice tea pitcher.
Yesterday, we had a hail storm. I thought you might like to see it. The truck in the background parked in the street to wait for the tornado siren to end. I think that was the first time I have ever heard a warning siren go off any place we have lived.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
My first attempt at Kombucha and making my own SCOBY or mushroom did not go over too well. I grew a tiny mushroom on my own. So I decided to search for someone who already had one going. I found Vanessa in Broomfield on Craig's List.
I only had a small spill in the car on the way home. Good thing I had towels to pick up any spills.
I will post my progress with this batch in a few weeks.
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
This is the first time I have ever bottled my own kombucha. I will let you know how it goes. I put about a 1/4 cup of blended strawberry in the bottom of each bottle. I think I will try them in about 5 more days. I believe you are suppose to let them sit and get carbonated for about that long before you refrigerate them.