Friday, April 30, 2010

Kombucha Batch Before Bottling


Here is my Kombucha batch at 17 days. The instructions say to bottle between 2 to 3 weeks. I am amazed at the new SCOBY (mushroom) that has grown on top. I am searching for one of those little sun tea jars that has a plastic spigot. I would like to make another batch next time using the two smaller SCOBY you see floating around in there. If I am going to give away any for others to start Kombucha batches with I think they should be the smaller size.
I was reading a blog and someone said you can get 1 gallon pickle jars from Subway for free if you ask them to save you one.

So here is what I did. I carefully pulled out the SCOBY's and placed them in a bowl with about a cup or two of the liquid.
I then bottled the remaining liquid in clean bottles and added fruit or fruit juice to each bottle. They then sit on the counter covered for a few days to carbonate. You then put them in the fridge to chill and drink.

No comments: