Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Irish Soda Bread


Irish Soda Bread
Originally uploaded by whirledpeas00

I went to a tea party last week and had an Irish Soda Bread. I have been unable to get the recipe from the lady who made it. I used to be a baker, so I thought I would try to make up my own version of it.
It came out really tasty.

3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons butter + 1 Tablespoon melted brushed on top of finished bread
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup of buttermilk
( I used closer to 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk so the dough just comes together)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup cut up dried apricots
1/2 cup water boiling (I just used to soak the dried fruit in then I drained the fruit before adding to the recipe)

I put all of the dry ingredients together and mixed them with the 3 T of butter until course mixture. Then I added the dried fruit, soaked and drained along with enough of the buttermilk so it came together. I was careful not to overmix. Bake at 400 for 40 to 50 minutes. My oven runs hot so I baked it 40 minutes. I brushed on the 1 T of melted butter and then let it cool.
Yum!!!!

No comments: