Saturday, April 26, 2008

Aebleskiver


Æbleskiver are cooked by frying in a special pan wíth several hemi-spherical indentations in the bottom of the pan. The pan exists in versions for gas and electrical stoves (the latter with a plain bottom). Pans are usually heavy, allowing good heat conduction, and often made of cast iron. Traditional models in hammered copper plate exist but are today used exclusively for decoration. Æbleskive pans can be purchased at some internet stores, and they are often found at antique shops mislabeled as egg poaching pans.

Here is a link on them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86bleskiver
My mom sent me a pan a few months ago that she ordered from Williams-Sonoma at http://www.williams-sonoma.com/srch/index.cfm?words=aebleskiver

Here's how I made them
I took pancake mix and and added egg, milk, almond flavoring, cinnamon, ICBN spray butter for flavoring and vanilla SF syrup from Starbucks. (that was just the batter)
Then I poured it in the pan and put the above sugar free applesauce in the middle of each one while cooking.
Then I took some of the applesauce and mixed pancake syrup, heated it and poured it over the top.
I made Jeremiah some with Sugar Free strawberry jam last weekend and I think Strawberry might be his favorite flavor.

No comments: